Today, I am really excited, cause my guest is Zach from one of my favourite bands Portugal. The Man.
The reason why I brought him up is not only that I love their music, but I also started my music photography career with them. I met these guys in Vienna for my first portrait session 6 years ago. Man, was I nervous. It used off camera flash for the first time and honestly saying I haven´t had any clue what I was doing. MY heart was pounding when they entered the large concert hall where they were playing a gig later on. Luckily everything went well and my portraits got published in one of germanies largest indie magazine.
This was the beginning of our relationship, and we started to work together very time hen they came back to Vienna.
Fast forward to 2017 Portugal the man released their new album “Woodstock” which kicks ass. Their single “Feel it still” got Nr.1 in the alternative Billboard charts, they played in front of 10 000 people a few days ago and they’ll start their world tour soon.
I had the great opportunity to sit down with Zach and discuss about his life as musician, which struggles he had on the way to success and why he has more cameras on tour with him than me as a professional photographer.
In this Episode, You’ll Learn
- How they came up with their band name, even though they are from Alaska
- Why Zach wanted to become a Rockstar
- His biggest challenges on the way to success
- What´s important for the band when working with photographers
- Which cameras Zach takes with him on tour
Follow Portugal. The Man
Get Your Exclusive Content
Don’t forget! You can support me on Patreon. For $5/mo you’ll gain access to HTBARP content that you cannot get anywhere else, including special videos, exclusive announcements, and a behind-the-scenes look at the making of my podcasts.
Thanks for Listening!
To share your thoughts:
Review my Podcast and help out the show:
- Leave an honest review in iTunes. Once you listened to an episode, follow the iTunes link here and click the blue “View in iTunes” button. This will launch iTunes on your computer and bring up the podcast. Click on “Ratings and Reviews” on the HTBARP Podcast Page. Your ratings and reviews will help my Podcast to reach even more people. I am interested in your honest feedback and I read each one.
- Subscribe in iTunes. To subscribe in iTunes, visit the How To Become A Rockstar Photographer Podcast page and click the blue “View in iTunes” button. This will launch iTunes on your computer and bring up the podcast. Click ton the “Subscribe” button and you’Re all set.
Special Thanks to The Overalls for providing their awesome music!
You want to become a Concert Photographer?