Today’s guest is DJ photographer Drew Ressler, better known as RUKES.
Rukes is considered the #1 DJ photographer in the world (named #1 in the “Greatest Music Photographers Right Now” by Complex in 2012).
He’s come a long way since his first foray into DJ and event photography in late 2003. After moving to LA and tagging along with DJ’s for gigs at Avalon Hollywood, he began honing his skills and upgrading his equipment throughout 2004-2005.
In 2006 he quit his “real job” in the gaming industry to focus on photography full time, working for Avalon, Giant, and Insomniac for the next few years in Los Angeles.
All that hard work paid off when he landed his first tour with Deadmau5 in 2009, traveling all over the globe with him. From that point on, Rukes hasn’t slowed down and can now be found jetting around the world on any given day with DJs or music festivals like Ultra! With a huge social media following on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook, his adventures around the world are followed by many!
His Photos have been published by Rolling Stone, Spin, Vanity Fair, Q, MTV, LA Times, Forbes, Elektro, DJ Mag, US Weekly and USA Today just to name a few!
His worldwide client list includes Deadmau5, Calvin Harris, Avicii, Skrillex, Hardwell, Tommy Lee, Steve Aoki, REZZ, Tiesto and many more!
As always, find RUKES photos, his favorite camera equipment and much more on his show notes page at htbarp.com/drewrukesressler
In this Episode, You’ll learn
- How Drew became a DJ photographer
- What does it take to tour with the best DJs in the world
- How a typical day for a DJ photographer looks like
- Best Camera For Photography: Canon 1DX Mk 2
- Best Lens For Concert Photography: Canon 16-35L f/2.8 II
- Best Record Of All Time: Hybrid – Wide Angle
Follow Drew “Rukes” Ressler
Get Your Exclusive Content
Don’t forget! You can support me on Patreon. For $5/mo you’ll gain access to HTBARP content that you cannot get anywhere else, including special videos, exclusive announcements, and a behind-the-scenes look at the making of my podcasts.
Download my free Podcast App
Thanks for Listening!
To share your thoughts:
Review my Podcast and help out the show:
- Leave an honest review in iTunes. Once you listened to an episode, follow the iTunes link here and click the blue “View in iTunes” button. This will launch iTunes on your computer and bring up the podcast. Click on “Ratings and Reviews” on the HTBARP Podcast Page. Your ratings and reviews will help my Podcast to reach even more people. I am interested in your honest feedback and I read each one.
- Subscribe in iTunes. To subscribe in iTunes, visit the How To Become A Rockstar Photographer Podcast page and click the blue “View in iTunes” button. This will launch iTunes on your computer and bring up the podcast. Click on the “Subscribe” button and you’re all set.
Special Thanks to The Overalls for providing their awesome music!
Do you want to become a Concert Photographer?