Today’s guest is New York-based music photographer Coen Rees.
While recording former episodes of my podcast one name was mentioned many times as an inspiration and therefore I needed to get Coen on the show.
As an African French-born Londoner Coen built a huge archive of music photographs taken in England in the mid-nineties and therefore documented the rise of the “Britpop” era. As one of the few black rock photographers back then she moved to Los Angeles and finally settled down in New York.
In this interview, we’re going to talk about her style and why she loves Black &White, how she started with minimal equipment and worked her way up in the music photography industry and Coen will reveal how she was able to shoot portrait from stars like
Shirley Manson, Nice Cave, Wayne Coyne, Michael Stipe without any press accreditation or magazine access.
In this Episode, You’ll learn
- How she started with minimal equipment
- How she worked her way up in the music photography industry
- How she was able to shoot without any press accreditation or magazine access
- Best Camera For Photography: Canon 5D MK III
- Best Lens For Concert Photography: Canon EF 50mm 1.8
- Best Record Of All Time: Beyondless by Iceage
- Music Photographer you admire: Daniel Topete, Emily Gray, DeShaun Craddock
Follow Coen Reese
Get Your Exclusive Content
Don’t forget! You can support me on Patreon. For $5/mo you’ll gain access to HTBARP content that you cannot get anywhere else, including special videos, exclusive announcements, and a behind-the-scenes look at the making of my podcasts.
Download my free Podcast App
Thanks for Listening!
To share your thoughts:
Review my Podcast and help out the show:
- Leave an honest review in iTunes. Once you listened to an episode, follow the iTunes link here and click the blue “View in iTunes” button. This will launch iTunes on your computer and bring up the podcast. Click on “Ratings and Reviews” on the HTBARP Podcast Page. Your ratings and reviews will help my Podcast to reach even more people. I am interested in your honest feedback and I read each one.
- Subscribe in iTunes. To subscribe in iTunes, visit the How To Become A Rockstar Photographer Podcast page and click the blue “View in iTunes” button. This will launch iTunes on your computer and bring up the podcast. Click on the “Subscribe” button and you’re all set.
Special Thanks to The Overalls for providing their awesome music!
Do you want to become a Concert Photographer?