Welcome to a new episode of the HTBARP Podcast.
Today’s guest is Rock N Roll Photographer Chester Simpson. Chester learned all the secrets of the photography business from legends such as Ansel Adams and Jim Marshall who took him under their wings. Both told him that he should always help other photographers which is an approach I really relate to.
In this interview, we’ll talk about Chesters experiences and stories from his last 38 years. However, the main focus in this episode is the part of our industry where almost everyone is struggling with: the business side of concert photography. Chester will share his approaches when it comes down to selling your photos, work with bands as well as we’ll go deep into specific pricing for band shoots.
I hope this episode shares a little light into this complex topic because every job is different, every band has a different budget and it’s understandable it’s best to have a helping hand that can guide you into the right direction. In the interview, Chester also mentions a software called fotoQuote®. It’s the industry standard Pricing Guide for freelance photographers, helping you determine and negotiate a fair price for your photography. Pricing for over 360 stock photo categories and over 70 assignment types. This is the only tool, I know of which includes accurate pricing and I am using it by myself. Go to: htbarp.com/sellyourwork and you’ll find more info about it. There are different packages, but FotoQuote or FotoBiz will be your best option.
In this Episode, You’ll learn
- the secrets of the photography business from legends such as Ansel Adams and Jim Marshall
- about his approaches when it comes down to selling your photos
- about specific pricing for band shoots
- Best Camera For Photography: Canon 5D MK III
- Best Lens For Concert Photography: Canon 24-70mm f/2,8
- Best Record Of All Time: The Clash – London Calling
- Music Photographer you admire: Jim Marshall
Follow Chester Simpson
Get Your Exclusive Content
Don’t forget! You can support me on Patreon. For $5/mo you’ll gain access to HTBARP content that you cannot get anywhere else, including special videos, exclusive announcements, and a behind-the-scenes look at the making of my podcasts.
Download my free Podcast App
Thanks for Listening!
To share your thoughts:
Review my Podcast and help out the show:
- Leave an honest review in iTunes. Once you listened to an episode, follow the iTunes link here and click the blue “View in iTunes” button. This will launch iTunes on your computer and bring up the podcast. Click on “Ratings and Reviews” on the HTBARP Podcast Page. Your ratings and reviews will help my Podcast to reach even more people. I am interested in your honest feedback and I read each one.
- Subscribe in iTunes. To subscribe in iTunes, visit the How To Become A Rockstar Photographer Podcast page and click the blue “View in iTunes” button. This will launch iTunes on your computer and bring up the podcast. Click on the “Subscribe” button and you’re all set.
Special Thanks to The Overalls for providing their awesome music!
Do you want to become a Concert Photographer?