Todays guest is New Zealand based music photographer Alexander Hallag. We became friends through social media some time ago and we found out that he actually has Austrian origins (which is my birth place).
Recently I ordered his book “Shhh…the music is talking” about the New Zealand Music scene and was hooked by his work. Therefore I invited him to sit down with me and talk about the complete process from starting with the book idea in mind to finally having an awesome 200 pages coffee table book in hands. Alexander will reveal his challenges during this 5 years project and he will share his best tips on how you can self publish your book too.
Make sure to listen until the end of this inspiring interview, where we talk about our concert photography community and why we should support each other.
In this Episode, You’ll Learn
- How he got started in Seattle watching bands such as Soundgarden and Nirvana playing in small pubs
- The story behind his branding “The Music Is Talking”
- The best tips when you want to publish your own photo book (and sell it)
- Why he gives back to our concert photography community
About The Book
Shhh… The Music Is Talking is a five-year work of passion that encapsulates all that is wonderful about New Zealand’s musical landscape and the myriad of wonderful artists that dwell on it. It delves into the linage of the local industry; revealing a historical snap shot of its musicians, the fans and some of those that spin the wheels of the machine behind the scenes. It is told through the eyes and lenses of one of New Zealand’s most prolific and talented photographers.
Other well-known identities and bands that weave together the pages of this 25.4cm by 25.4cm hardcover labour of love, include Neil Finn of Crowded House, Ladi6, Kimbra, Tiki Taane, Lorde (from her second live concert), Chris Knox, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Ladyhawke, Orchestra of Spheres, Julia Deans, Grayson Gilmour, Beastwars, Anna Coddington, Liam Finn and many more. It also features a forward by award winning author Neil Gaiman.
Follow Alexander Hallag
Thanks for Listening!
To share your thoughts:
Review my Podcast and help out the show:
- Leave an honest review in iTunes. Once you listened to an episode, follow the iTunes link here and click the blue “View in iTunes” button. This will launch iTunes on your computer and bring up the podcast. Click on “Ratings and Reviews” on the HTBARP Podcast Page. Your ratings and reviews will help my Podcast to reach even more people. I am interested in your honest feedback and I read each one.
- Subscribe in iTunes. To subscribe in iTunes, visit the How To Become A Rockstar Photographer Podcast page and click the blue “View in iTunes” button. This will launch iTunes on your computer and bring up the podcast. Click ton the “Subscribe” button and you’Re all set.
Special Thanks to The Overalls for providing their awesome music!
You want to become a Concert Photographer?